Sunday, November 16, 2008

facts that could crush

This in continuation to the discussion that has happened thus far.  Although I don't quite understand a lot of the turns in logic that have occurred so far there is one aspect that has been on my mind up until this point.  This concerns what people do not want to here.  In church this mourning I was startled by a argument that resulted in one woman breaking out into tears because of having a believe challenged (no it wasn't me who made her cry).  The discussion started when we were talking about a Christian having to obey the Govt. placed over them.  One person said that God is sovereign and therefor he deliberately puts people in power.  Another lady sharply contrasted with saying that in fact God allows it to happen but doesn't put bad people in power on purpose.  The debate went back and forth until the woman with tears in her eyes said I can't believe that God would cause someone to rape or kill a child or something like that.
This brought to mind several things that God has done that would be unacceptable to this woman, like ordering the death of woman and children and animals in Amalek, or the first born in egypt(children).  It occurred to me at that point that there are some things about God that people do not want to accept and they interpret scriptures to fit that view.  After I swallowed my disgust and reminded myself that I am a hypocrite, I realized that there have been things in my Christian walk that I did not want to understand.  Like this woman who has to see God as somewhat passive when it comes to evil otherwise she automatically condemns him as being evil

Hell for example was an issue where earlier in my Christian life, had I accepted that there is a place of eternal suffering, would have pushed me toward loathing God because I didn't really understand it, it just seemed cruel to me.  I think God makes room or even deliberately allows for misunderstanding because as you stated there are things that we are not ready for yet.  A child could think that a doctor puts children in woman's wombs and then pulls them out of the belly button, and a parent would most likely let them believe that until they are older because the concept of sex and what it entails would quit honestly frighten a child and they are not ready for it yet.

So does this mean there are errors in the scriptures?  I believe that there are(whoa, woman are crying)  The evidence I have seen would certainly suggest it, but I am only human.  In light of this though I can see a reason why it would be left there.  This doesn't frighten me nor do I find it controversial though because God also provides clear cut verses or means to discover the error when you are spiritually ready to hear it and when it will not turn you away from him.  The fact that you can see how Job's friends were in error or that Jesus corrected what David said is testimony to that.  That being said I am probably still going to throw rocks at you just for fun.


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...I see how that could be true. Can it ever really be an error though if God ordained it to be there?

    In the example of the child not ready for the truth, God could have been silent on any subject. As Paul says all scripture is God breathed, so God could have inspired his servants to shut their mouths. Doesn't the mere mention of it then suggest not only that God wants us to think about it (even if we aren't ready to understand), but also that he has made it possible even now to know that truth?

    I think that the concealed-truths (since there are no errors) must in fact be somekind of backdoor to that truth that is not obvious.

    ReplyDelete

We may not always be nice, but we love each other. Respectfulness is a must or comments will be deleted. You can be upset and vehement, but not insulting.